September is known nationally as College Savings Month, and State Treasurer Michael L. Fitzgerald encourages all Iowans to celebrate! In honor of College Savings Month, College Savings Iowa will be giving away one $5,290 account this fall. Interested participants can learn more and register to win by visiting College Savings Iowa’s website.
Iowa College Aid would also like to take this opportunity to remind students of the importance of keeping student loan debt as low as possible and making wise financial decisions throughout their college career. We encourage students to take the following advice, courtesy of Clarke University Financial Aid Office.
- Don’t take on credit card debt – It gets ugly quickly.
- Don’t be afraid to ask LOTS of questions.
- Understand that figuring out financial aid (or financing) is NOT just your parents’ responsibility. You need to know what is going on.
- Be aware PRIOR To starting school how you plan to pay your bills – don’t wait until the day of registration for the next semester to figure it out.
- Get to know the financial aid staff on campus – they’re not scary – they work in higher education because they LIKE to work with students!
- Don’t take out a bunch of loans to “live on”- pay your school bills with your financial aid, but get a job to pay for your lifestyle choices.
- Know aid limits – loans and grants have limits – know what yours are before you decide to stay in school longer.
For further money management tips and financial aid advice, visit our website or call 877-272-3464.